WHAT ABOUT KIDS COACHING?
Don't worry, we haven't forgotten about the little rippers. Kids coaching is free and doesn't require any sign up!
The guys over at KICC (Kids Innerleithen Cycling Club) have also arranged an absolutely incredible treasure hunt, supplied with treasure maps, clues and even prizes for the winners! The kids treasure hunt will run on Friday and Saturday, head to the KICC tent next to the Pump Track to sign on.
Kids will receive a free orienteering style trail map then navigate around the trail with the aim of reordering all the hidden letters that have been stashed around Glentress.
The route will take in some of KICC’s favourite trails and the most fun sections of Green, Blue and Trail that Glentress has to offer. At locations around the forest little letters will have been left hidden and should search for as many of these as you can, then note these down on your maps. When you return to base if you can rearrange the letters to spell our mystery word then you’ll receive a great prize courtesy of Specialized Bicycle Components. If you don’t have enough time to note down all the letters, don’t worry you’ll just have to do the best you can and take a guess.
KICC helpers will sweep the trail offering mechanical support if required. However, all riders taking part in the Trail Treasure hunt should be confident riding independently on red, green and blue grade trails. These trails will include technical trail centre features including fast descents, drops (rollable on an adult bike but that may be harder on a small wheel bike) and tight corners. Glentress is built on hills so there is plenty of climbing too. The Trail Treasure Hunt will not venture on the black grade trails and will be on way marked red, blue and green trails. This still covers a large area of forest so navigation and a safe return to the event village will be the responsibility of the riders. Lost riders can follow the post markers displaying a grey box with “Escape Route to Glentress Peel” to return to the event village.
• You may complete the trail as many times as you like but only one prize per participant.
• Do not remove the clues or the little letters from their hiding position
• When searching for clues, think of safety and other trail users. Park your bike to the side of the trail and don’t be an obstruction.
• Stay on way-marked red, blue and green trails.
• If you get lost and need to call for help the way marker posts have trail names and post numbers on for reference. Some also signpost a shortcut back to “Escape Route to Glentress Peel”